From The Revive Cafe Cookbook 7.
This is a popular Indian takeaway dish. However it is usually very heavy on cream and cheese. This version replaces the paneer cheese with a chickpea version, and uses coconut cream to make it creamy!
MAKES 6 x 1 CUP SERVES
- 1 cup onion finely diced (around 1 onion)
- 2 cloves garlic crushed or finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup hot water
- 500g (16oz) bag frozen spinach
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 2 cups chickpea paneer (page 138 cookbook 7) or cubed firm tofu
- garnish: fresh coriander (cilantro)
- In a pot or pan saute the onions, garlic and oil for
- 5 minutes or until soft.
- Stir in garam masala for 30 seconds to activate the flavour in the spice.
- Add the salt, water and spinach. Cook for 5 minutes or until the spinach has defrosted. Stir in the
- coconut cream.
- Put three quarters of the mixture into a blender and blend until smooth. Pour this back into the pan with the unblended mixture.
- Add the chickpea paneer and heat until it is nearly boiling (but do not let bubble).
- Serve with a garnish of fresh coriander.